Monday, 2 January 2017

2017



It's easy to get sucked into the 'New Year New Me' mentality, but what does it actually mean and why do we put so much emphasis on becoming better versions of ourselves just because we're starting a new calendar?
I'm guessing it stems from having the closure of an old year; it's behind us, we can draw a line and we can take the opportunity to begin afresh and leave behind anything bad from the past 365 days because we have a whole new year to do amazing things.
That's what I take from it at least. 2016 was one of the toughest years I've had for a long time and, frankly, I'm firmly in the camp of being glad to see the back of it. For me 2017 has anticipation and excitement, changes are coming and I'm looking forward to getting out of a rut and tackling some new challenges.

Obviously 2016 wasn't all bad and there were times that I'll regard as some of the best in my life that occurred last year.
But, after a year that was largely spent battling with heightened anxiety, riding a rollercoaster in terms of illness within the family and living the general discomfort of some heavy 'am I ever going to be good enough?!' existentialism in regards to work/love/weight/friendship/writing*, I'm taking the arrival of 2017 as the herald for getting my mind talk under control and being proactive in becoming the version of myself that I want to be.

And that's it really.
I don't have any dead set resolutions this year, just some promises that I'm making for myself; lose some weight, laugh every day, write more and take nothing for granted.
I'm hopeful that 2017 is the year I have that moment that's in every chick flick, where the heroine has her empowering montage and comes out of the other side ready to take on the world. Once this cold has gone I'm sure I'll be her.

*delete as applicable

No comments:

Post a Comment